Driving in the EU from 1 January 2021 - your guide to Green Cards

Green Cards


Following Brexit, motorists intending to drive in the EEA after 31 December 2020 may be required to carry a Green Card as proof of insurance. You can find important information regarding Green Cards below - please contact your broker if the answer to your question cannot be found here. A list of EEA countries can be found on the government website

A Green Card is an International Motor Insurance Certificate (‘IMIC’) issued by insurance providers, guaranteeing that the visiting motorist has the necessary minimum motor insurance cover for driving in the country being travelled to or through.

You can request a Green Card from your broker. DUAL aurum will also issue you an annual Green Card with your policy schedule and certificate when we issue your policy and also at renewal. A Green Card will also be issued if you make any changes to your policy.

Yes, if you are not carrying a Green Card when it is required, then you will not be able to drive legally in an EU member state. If you do attempt to drive in the EU without holding a Green Card, you may be accused of driving without insurance and could be subject to a fine, having your vehicle seized or prosecution.

No, you must take a physical copy of the Green Card with you abroad. You may print it out yourself, or your broker may print it for you. The Green Card will be valid printed in black text on plain white paper. The information must be clear and readable, set out in a vertical (portrait) or horizontal (landscape) format. The acceptable size of paper is a maximum of A4 to a minimum of A6. The back page should be blank. You can choose to use green paper (with black text) but no other colour will be valid.

Border control authorities may request to see your insurance documents when entering an EEA country. You may also be subject to police checks whilst driving in an EEA country so will be required to present your documents, and again these may need to be presented in event of an accident. 

In order to drive in the EEA, each drivers name must be stated on the Green Card. If the drivers name is not on the Green Card, they will not be permitted to drive in the EEA.